Voici un petit texte que j ai trouvé sur le site de l' Army Medical Services Museum
Until the end of the 18th century there was no veterinary service at all in the British Army. Farriers, contracted by the British government, were responsible for shoeing Army horses and providing medicine and general care. However, continual heavy losses of horses during the military campaigns of the late 18th century led to the decision in 1796 that veterinary surgeons for the army
should be recruited from the newly formed London Veterinary College.
For the first 82 years of its existence the veterinary service in the army was organised entirely on a regimental basis
. Veterinary surgeons were directly recruited into cavalry regiments and wore the uniform of the regiments they joined
. There was no provision for the care of sick or lame horses when regiments were on the move and sick animals were either abandoned or became stragglers at the rear. The Peninsular War was the first time that an attempt was made to deal with this problem and sick horse depots were established.
Bref les vetos militaires ne furent attachés aux rgts de cavalerie qu à partir de 1796 et ils portaient la tenue du régiment, maintenant avaient ils un insigne particulier.?